Skincare Essentials & Pregnancy
As the decision to have a baby bounces around we usually start listing ways to get healthier. Frequently this includes increasing hydration, better food choices, & taking prenatal vitamins.
Often overlooked is skincare, more importantly, what’s inside our skincare. Skin is the body’s biggest organ and what we put on it matters. Toxic ingredients that are commonly found like fragrance, vitamin A derivatives, Salicylic acid (just to name a few) could be dangerous to your developing baby and should be avoided.
Ingredients in your products are absorbed through the skin and can get into your bloodstream. Some experts even recommend switching up your routine six months before trying to conceive! Changing to natural products early on and creating a solid skincare routine will provide an abundance of benefits to you and your baby.
Easy Skincare Routine
1. Start with a gentle cleanser, this floral, yet calming soap is rich in essential fatty acids and vitamin E due to the sunflower and grapeseed oil. It produces a lather that is incredibly conditioning on the skin.
2. Getting into the habit of applying belly butter early in your pregnancy journey is beneficial! Not only is it awesome self-care and a time to be with your body, but it’s also helpful in preventing and reducing visible stretch marks during pregnancy and postpartum. Stretch marks develop in nine out of ten pregnancies, usually in the sixth or seventh month. You have the best chance of reducing the appearance of stretch marks when they're new.
3. If you haven’t tried natural deodorant this is the perfect time to start! It will take your body some time to detox but be patient and stick with it. Our organic deodorant is not only baking soda-free, but it is also GMO-free and filled with hydrating butter and essential oils to keep those armpits from getting irritated.
4. Facial Serums include active ingredients that bring antioxidants to the skin and restore cell growth. They also act as a brightening treatment, anti-aging prevention, and can help with skin issues such as dry or oily skin. This serum is lightweight and nourishing for the skin!
5. Pair a facial roller with your serum (and moisturizer) and it will help with under-eye circles, wrinkles, and even hormonal acne that often pops up before, during, and after pregnancy. Not to mention the roller help products absorb more easily into the skin and feels luxurious!
6. This lavish, ultra-rich day and night face cream is an anti-aging vitamin and antioxidant powerhouse, formulated to be lightweight and fast absorbent. During pregnancy all your hydration goes to the baby first, they are little sponges soaking up everything, oftentimes drying mom out, making moisturizing a top priority.
Pregnancy comes with so many changes, from hormone overload and 1st-trimester breakouts to a blissful glow and radiating skin mid-pregnancy and in many instances back to breakouts, redness, and dry patches postpartum. Knowing you’re using natural skincare products and establishing a routine early on is a great way to ward off any skin related issues before they get out of hand.
Drinking lots of fluids, from water to tea and eating a diet full of antioxidant-rich foods will play a large role in how your skin reacts to pregnancy. Give yourself a head start by adhering to a healthy, nutritious diet that will benefit both you and your baby.
If you are considering pregnancy, or are pregnant, it’s a good idea to consult with a licensed, trained professional to insure that the skincare routine you use during your pregnancy is safe for you and for your baby.
xo SanBe Beauty Team